Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is one of my signature dishes. The was a time when I couldn't visit my parents without being asked to make this!
For 6 servings, you will need:
- 1 pound pasta (Personal Favorites: Cavatappi, Farfalle, Penne, Rotini)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (homemade, if you've got it)
- 1/4 cup tequila (nothing too fancy, I usually use an unaged silver tequila, or "tequila plata", but you can use whatever tequila you have lying around)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (freshly squeezed is best, but I've been known you get my juice from a bottle from time to time)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/4 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 8-12 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
Usually, I will double the recipe because this stuff is even better the next day.
- Cook pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and jalapeno, and saute until soft.
- Pour in chicken stock, tequila, and lime juice. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until the mixture is reduced to a paste, about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure it is not sticking. The 15 minutes that the sauce cooks is not a strict time requirement. I usually just cook the sauce until I'm ready to incorporate it into the rest of the dish. This is sometimes more and sometimes less than the 15 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, place the chicken in a bowl, and pour soy sauce over it.
- Melt remaining butter in a skillet, and saute the onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and mushrooms until soft. Remove vegetables, and set aside.
- Add oil to the skillet, and cook the chicken over medium-high heat until lightly browned.
- Pour in the sauce and heavy cream, and add the vegetables. Bring to a boil, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in Romano cheese and cilantro.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if desired. Serve immediately over cooked pasta. Enjoy.