Submitted by derMoerder
This is a dish from my four-course cheese menu for Iron Chef SA XV:The Big Cheesy
- Parmesan-Corn Soup
- Goat Cheese Tart
- Bleu Peanut Butter and Cherry Sandwich
- Cheese Mousse with Summer Berries
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 6 ea Corn on the Cob
- 1/2c Chopped Sweet Onion
- 3 Tbsp Roasted Garlic
- 235g Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- 1 tsp Sugar (opt)
- 500ml Cream
- 750ml Veg Stock
- 5 Slices Bacon
- 4 Slices Prosciutto
- Tabasco TT
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4 Sprigs Thyme
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tbsp Cream, for garnish
- Cut the corn kernels from the cobs. Reserve the cobs! Also reserve a Tbsp of kernels per serving for garnish.
- Roughly chop the bacon and onion. Sweat the bacon, and then the onion in the bacon's fat.
- Deglaze the pan w/ the vegetable stock and add the corn, cobs, a heavy pinch of salt, roasted garlic, bay leaf, and thyme.
- If the corn is less than perfect, try adding a tsp of sugar. This won't be necessary if you're making this in the summer in NJ. Mmm, Jersey corn.
- Simmer until the corn is cooked thoroughly and you still have a couple cups of liquid left.
- Remove the cobs and herbs, and separate the liquid from everything else. Place the solids, cream and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese into the blender.
- Blend the everloving shit out of this, adding the cooking liquid as necessary until you get a nice thick soupy consistency.
- Pass through a basket strainer or chinois. Season finally with salt, white pepper and a touch of tabasco.
- Crisp up the prosciutto slices in a 350° oven. Just lay them out on a sheetpan and let them go until stiff enough to stand up.
- Saute the reserved corn in the butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill a bowl with the soup and drizzle with the cream. Place some of the corn in the center and the prociutto crisp to the side. Done!