Jump to navigation Jump to search
To quickly brown, then slowly cook foods allowing their structures to break down and become soft.
Dutch oven or other heavy pan, oven or stovetop.
- Add fat to dutch oven or pan and put over high heat
- Add food to be cooked into the pan and saute (see sauteing) briefly until browned
- Deglaze pan by adding about a cup of liquid to the hot pan, and scraping the brown bits off of the bottom
- Add enough liquid to cover the items to be stewed
- Cover and a) keep at a very very low simmer on the stovetop (see simmering) until done or b) put in a 325 degree oven until done.
This is essentially braising with smaller pieces of food, and enough liquid to cover all pieces.