To quickly brown, then slowly cook foods allowing their structures to break down and become soft.
Dutch oven or other heavy pan, oven or stovetop.
- Add fat to dutch oven or pan and put over high heat
- Add food to be cooked into the pan and saute (see sauteing) briefly until browned
- Deglaze pan by adding about a cup of liquid to the hot pan, and scraping the brown bits off of the bottom
- Add enough liquid to cover the items to be stewed
- Cover and a) keep at a very very low simmer on the stovetop (see simmering) until done or b) put in a 325 degree oven until done.
This is essentially braising with smaller pieces of food, and enough liquid to cover all pieces.