Mercimek Corbasi - Turkish Lentil Soup
This is a Turkish classic that's become a staple in my cooking. It's easy to throw together, easy on the wallet, and very tasty.
Makes 2-3 servings
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp "aci biber sosu" (turkish hot pepper sauce), use 2 tbsp tomato paste if you can't find it.
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup turkish split red lentils (or whatever you can find, doesn't really matter)
- 5 cups of water
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp hot chili powder
- Black pepper
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- Crushed red pepper
1. Chop the onion, heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a saucepan and fry until golden.
2. Add the tomato paste and pepper paste, and fry for a minute.
3. Add the pepper, chili powder, carrots, lentils and water.
4. Simmer with the lid closed on medium heat for about 20 mins, or until the lentils are soft.
5. Using a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth.
6. In a small saucepan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Once the olive oil is hot, add the paprika powder and the red pepper flakes.
7. Serve the soup in a bowl and quickly add a little of the olive oil. (You have to be quick, otherwise the paprika burns and it gets bitter).
8. Goes great with some white fluffy bread. Enjoy!