Sweet Potato Chili
I have been vegan for nearly five years. This recipe started out as a normal chili recipe but got progressively modified as time went on.
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 large sweet potato, diced into 1/4" cubes
- 1 poblano pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 28oz can whole tomatoes and juice
- 1/2 of a 15oz can cooked pinto beans, drained
- 1 15oz can cooked black beans, drained
- 1/2 tsp dark chili powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 3-6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- ground black pepper, to taste
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add onions and saute until soft, ~2min
Add carrot, sweet potato cubes, and poblano pepper, and saute ~1min
Add tomatoes & juice. Crush until chunky.
Add beans, garlic, chili powder, oregano, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and stir
Lower heat, cover and simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes until potatoes are fully cooked.
If you cannot find a poblano pepper, use a regular green pepper and increase the amount of chili powder by a pinch. I am a chili wuss so this recipe may not be as spicy as other recipes. This chili is extremely tasty with guacamole and crackers or bread, although my husband swears by sour cream and cheddar cheese. Recipe doubles well and freezes well, if you're doubling it just be sure to allow more cooking time.