Tom Kha Gai
Submitted by Fargelsnarf
Uploaded by Toast
Well after my thai spiced pumpkin soup someone asked if it was similar to tom kai gai. Never having tried tom kai gai i couldn't really comment. I was intrigued as to what it tasted like, so i did a bit of googling and found quite a few recipes, and this was the easiest one i found.
- 2 boneless skinned chicken breasts
- 1 pint of chicken stock
- about 250 mls of coconut milk
- 8 birdseye chillis
- 2 stalks of lemongrass
- a piece of ginger(galangal was what was needed but its hard to get a hold of here and everyone i asked looked at me as if i had just spat in their eye)
- the juice of a lime
- 4tbsp of fish sauce
- slice the ginger up into really thin strips and cut the stalks off the chillis. Dice the chicken into bitesize cubes and then remove the outerleaves from the lemon grass until you get to the soft bit in the centre. Now take a rolling pin or something heavy and batter the lemongrass and give the chillis a beating for good measure.
- place the stock in a pot and start to heat, while its heating juice your lime.
When the stock is starting to get hot, put the lime juice, chillis, lemongrass, ginger and fish sauce in. And bring to the boil.
- Once it starts to boil add the chicken and coconut milk, stir and bring it back to boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for about 2 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Keep stiring whilst doing this to avoid a skin forming. Remove the lemongrass.
Serve when ready and garnish with the coriander.
it was really good, really simple and extremely quick to make, hence only the 4 pictures.