Spiced Peach Jam
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a recipe adapted from another peach recipe I often do for jam, instead of adding cherries I went for the spices which creates a really rich flavour and makes this really nice as a hot brie garnish among other things.
- 8 Normal Sized Peaches (Washed and pitted/chopped, I leave skins on but you can remove if you prefer)
- 1 tsp each ground cardamon, ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 large or 2 small Cinnamon Sticks
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 boxes pectin (peach jam takes extra pectin as there isn't a ton of natural, use the powder not liquid)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Butter (optional, to remove scum)
- Sterilize your jars and keep them nice and warm so the temperature shock of the hot jam doesn't shatter them.
- Chop your fruit, then combine in blender or food processor. (You can also mash with a potato masher, but it takes a while)
- Process until you hit the desired consistency, I like my jam a little chunky but you can get it as smooth as you want.
- Move the fruit to a pot, add your pectin, spices and lime juice.
- Bring to a boil
- Add the sugar, then bring to a rolling boil
- Once it's boiling, cook while stirring vigourously for 3 minutes or so
- The scum that forms at the top is harmless, but doesn't look very nice in your jam, stir in about a tbsp of butter and much of it will dissipate. If some remains you can add more butter, or remove it with a spoon.
- Remove cinammon stick(s)
- Ladle hot jam into jars, ideally with a canning funnel, but you can do without.
- Seal jars and process for 10 Minutes in a boiling water bath.
Note on peaches:
- Boiling peaches for a bit then dropping them into ice cold water (as in it has ice floating in it) makes the skins very easy to peel