- 3 envelopes of unflavored gelatin (1/4 oz each)
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract (some say a teaspoon is more accurate)
- Confectioners'(powdered) sugar for dredging
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water. Soak for 10 minutes.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil hard for 1 minute.
- Pour boiling syrup into gelatin and mix at high speed. Add the salt and beat for 12 minutes.
- Add vanilla and incorporate into mixture.
- Scrape into a 9 x 9-inch pan lined with oiled plastic wrap and spread evenly. (Note: Lightly oil hands and spatula or bowl scraper).
- After pouring marshmallow mixture into the pan, take another piece of plastic wrap and press mixture into the pan.
- Let mixture sit for a few hours.
- Remove from pan, dredge the marshmallow slab with confectioners' sugar and cut into 12 equal pieces with scissors (the best tool for the job) or a chef's knife.
- Dredge each piece of marshmallow in confectioners' sugar.
- Store in an airtight container.
By forums user Two Headed Calf
- Chocolate Marshmallows
45g (a bit more then 1.5oz) of cocca power sifted added to the fluff after fully whipping. Make your dredge 1/3 cocca 1/3 confectioners sugar 1/3 cornstarch (or 1/2 cocca 1/2 confectioners if you don’t want the cornstarch).
- Coffee Marshmallows
25g (less then an oz more then 3/4 oz) coffee extract or a really strong brew added to the fluff, cool, after fully whipping. Use either a Toddy or a cold press to make the coffee. There’s less acid this way and also a stronger brew than hot.
- Cinnamon Marshmallows
Add 5g (1 teaspoon) ground (fresh if you got it), cinnamon to the sugar while cooking.
- Raspberry Marshmallows
Make a seedless raspberry puree with a splash of lemon juice. Reduce the puree to 1/2. Add 35g (about 1/6 cup) to the fluff after fully whipping. This works well with oranges too.
By forums user Twernmilt
- Lemon Marshmallows
Replace the recipe's 1/2 cup water with 1/2 cup lemon juice and zest of two lemons. Do not add the vanilla extract.