Cold Sesame Noodles
Sorry I don't have pictures. I hope that's okay Edit: I see Dan Mian and Spicy Sesame Noodles in original post but this is a little different, mainly the ingredients
I made Cold Sesame Noodles for a "pot luck" and my friends liked them so I figured I would share. VEGAN or vegetarian depending on noodles used!
- 1 lb thick spaghetti or chinese egg noodles % or dan dan noodles +
- A bunch of salt
- As much pasta water as you can save from cooking noodles
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1 table spoon crushed red pepper flakes (or chinese hot chili oil, I used both) - more or less to taste (Have extra on hand for people to add if they like it spicier)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon ground garlic powder &
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter (I used skippy and jewel generic)
- 1/3 teaspoon ground ginger to taste, you can substitute cinnamon &
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 4-5 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 3-4 tablespoons sugar or brown sugar to taste
- 1-2 cucumbers
- 1 cup of hugs, smiles and love - also pinch your roommate and runaway screaming $
- 5 cigarettes #
- 3 beers #
- % Not vegan, obviously
- + I'm not sure if these are vegan or not, just stick with regular thick spaghetti if you want the dish vegan.
- & You can use these ingredients fresh if you wish, I just didn't have any fresh on hand
- # Optional
- $ Necessary
Boil pot of water, when rolling boil starts add salt to water, break noodles in half and cook stirring occasionally to al dente. When done pour as much pasta water into another pot and save (do not refrigerate or continue to heat). Drain noodles in colander and rinse under cold water (no no for regular spaghetti but for these it's needed), drain noodles again. Put noodles in container and toss with 1 1/2 table spoons sesame oil. Refrigerate in tupperware container
Take a break and smoke 1-2 cigarettes and drink a beer
When finished with that on to the sauce: Put peanut butter and about 2 cups pasta water, vegetable broth in pot. Use medium heat until peanut butter melts, add rest of ingredients (sugar and red pepper flakes(or chili oil) added last to peanut sauce (don't want to burn the sugar, yucky), MINUS toasted sesame seeds and cucumber. As you are cooking keep adding pasta water until you have reached your desired thickness. STIR THE WHOLE TIME UNTIL DONE.
Pour sauce into its own container and refrigerate (it's better the next day).
Have 1 more cigarette and another beer. Have an extra cigarette if you wish.
If you don't have toasted sesame seeds, you can toast them yourself in oven or stovetop (oven takes way too long - 35ish minutes)
Stovetop put sesame seeds in pan over medium heat 3-8 minutes, stir frequently and when they brown and smell nutty they are done.
Day of serving, take sauce out of fridge and let cool to room temperature (2 hours?). Toss about half the sauce with the noodles. Noodles are sill best served cold, it's a nice spicy cold summer dish.
Let people add more sauce if they please and garnish the top of each plate with toasted sesame seeds and cut cucumbers (long thickish strips, they will get soggy if you premix them), if people want it spicer let them add more crushed red peppers or hot chili oil.
Now Enjoy with your favorite beer a cigarette, love and friends.
Edit #2: I capitalized some I's that I missed.
Edit #3 AGAIN: I prefer dried noodles as opposed to fresh, I believe you get better pasta water because of the longer cooking time and easier to get them to al dente. Use fresh if you wish though.