I don't make a ton of chow chow. I like eating it but don't have a need for a huge batch. Here is the recipe in Fancy Pantry that makes 4 pints or 8 cups. When put out into 8 oz jars you'll probably get 9 or 10, maybe less. The recipe warns that this isn't a super sweet:
- 4 cups small cabbage pieces (about 1 small head chopped)
- 3 cups small cauliflower pieces (1 small head)
- 3 cups bell pepper pieces, some or all red
- 2 cups cucumber pieces or coarsely chopped green tomatoes
- 2 cups small onion pieces
- 3 T pickling salt
- 2 & 1/4 cups cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 t yellow mustard seeds
- 2 t dry mustard
- 1 t ground turmeric
- 1 t celery seeds
- 1 t ground ginger
- 2 t hot pepper flake
- 1/4 t ground coriander
1. Toss vegetables in the salt. Let sit 3-4 hours then drain and rinse them. Drain again.
2. Bring the sugar, vinegar and spices to a boil in a large non-reactive pot. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the veg to the pot and bring back to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Using a slotted spoon, pack the vegetables into clean, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Cover the vegetables with the pickling liquid, bubble the jars and adjust to maintain 1/4 inch headspace.
4. Process in water bath canner 10 minutes and wait at least 3 weeks to eat.