Fiery Tomato Vodka Soup with Chipotle, Lime and Basil
This one is for my mother, who loves both vodka and tomatoes, unfortunately whenever I end up making this for her I'll have to tone down the Chipotle as this was very spicy. I personally love the combination of vodka and spicy tomato and I added the basil to smooth out the flavour a bit.
This can be served hot or chilled, though if served chilled I'd suggest blending it to a very smooth consistency and using the lower amount of chipotle.
Yield: 4 Small bowls or 2 Meal Sized Bowls
Most of these are to taste really
- 4-5 Ripe Roma Tomatoes
- 1-2 Chipotles in Adobo (to your personal taste)
- Green Onion
- Minced Garlic
- 1-2 Stalks of Celery (Somehow I never got a shot of this, but it's in there, trust me)
- 4 Cipollini Onions (you could substitute shallots or a small sweet onion instead)
- 1/2 Cup of Vodka
- Juice of 2 Limes
- Fresh Basil (Optional)
- Red Pepper (Optional)
- I was lucky enough to get some very tasty romas from a local greengrocer
- Start by boiling a pot of water, then dropping the romas in for about a minute or until the skin is easily peelable. Peel, then chop it roughly. If the tomato has a large core try to remove it the place the tomato and juices aside.
- If you've never seen a Cipollini onion before, this is one of the cute little bastards, they're really sweet and quite nice roasted whole. Sometimes hard to find but I really like the flavour so they're going in to the soup today. As mentioned above, swap them for a couple shallots or a small sweet onion if you like.
- Quickly sauté both onions, the celery and garlic in a medium to large pot. I'm not sure why they look so burnt in this picture, they really weren't, also I guess I hadn't added the celery yet.
- Add tomato, and red pepper if you like then let simmer.
- This is a can of Chipotles in Adobo, if you've never had them the aroma when you open the can is amazing. I added two to my soup, but I like things spicy, you may want to stick with one. Chop it roughly and toss it in the simmering soup.
- Add a handful of Basil if you're so inclined, and your lime and vodka
- Give it a stir every so often until the aroma is filling your house and you want to stick your face in the pot.
- Blend using an immersion blender or as pictured to your desired consistency. I like mine a bit chunky, but I also reblended my leftovers to have it chilled as I prefer a finer consistency for chilled soups.
- Serve and Enjoy